Skip to main content

Art Elements Component of the Month with Lindsay Starr!

It's time for the January Component of the Month and this time, Lindsay Starr send us leather cabochons!  As usual I did not take a photo of mine before I started working, but this photo is from her post over at Art Elements!

In her post, she explains the elaborate process she went through to make these cabochons.  I chose one that, to me, evoked the sea and jellyfish!  Here's my finished project.

Lindsay had sent along some extra coordinating components, and one of them was this tassle.  While I was originally going to make the jellyfish tentacles with beads, I decided that this tassle was actually a really good choice!

 I stitched the bezel using a really pretty delica bead that picked up the colors of the cabochon, and used the small size 15 beads to pick up the most subtle shade on the cab.

I was going to add some beads to the tassle, but didn't do that yet.  I'm going to ponder it a bit first.  As for now, this is going to make a great ornament!  Check out what everyone else made, and thank you Lindsay for your imagination and providing this awesome CoM to work with!



Guests:
AE Writers:


Comments

Linda said…
I love your color choices for the bezel, Sue! The movement of the slinky tassel would make this pendant be a lot of fun to wear.
Laney said…
heheh I really really wanted to use my tassel in the design but it just wouldn't 'fit'.. love yours :)
Perfect bead choices for this leather cab! And I love that you used the tassel-it's the perfect addition to a beautiful piece.
Unknown said…
How pretty! That light purple looks great with the cab!
Saraccino said…
You used the tassel and it looks so great! I was also thinking about the tassel but the other pieces send along with the cab actually won.
Caroline said…
Gorgeous beadwork Sue, and that tassel is just perfect!
Lindsay said…
I love it Sue! I have a million of those tassels and it's so nice seeing one of them being used in something, not to mention the cab! Way to go using one of the really big ones!
Ann Schroeder said…
The tassel really works well with your bezeled cab. Great piece.
bairozan said…
The bezel is beautiful and both blends in and highlights the pendant, I like it!
Lesley said…
Really pretty Sue m- great that you used your tassle too.
Niky Sayers said…
What a lovely ornament Sue, your seed beading is wonderful something I still can not get the hang of and I love the colours you picked out!
Jenny said…
I say yes to the tassel - It looks lovely! Gorgeous palette Sue!
Karen Totten said…
Love the beadwork and the tassel with it!
The tassel works great with the beaded cab. Pretty pendant.

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w