Skip to main content

November AJE Component of the Month - Caroline Dewison

This month's component of the month is exciting - it's a lichen cabochon or pendant by Caroline Dewison of Blueberri Beads!  Here's what she made for us!


I chose a blue cabochon - I got the one on the bottom right!  As usual, I didn't take work in progress photos, which I really like to do on these projects, but here's what I made!


I was excited to receive this because I was attending the Bead My Love retreat in Delaware before this CoM was due, so I thought I'd get some great ideas there!  I really wanted to make this elaborate beaded cuff, but just don't possess the skills or patience or space to do it right now, but someday I will make one.  So for now, I made a beaded bezel, and used some of my new skills to add more rows to it.

I added a stop-bead row of purplish-gray size 8 beads to the outside of the peyote bezel, and then did a brick stitch row of beads in that pretty blue.  I also added a row of blue beads between the peyote bezel and the stop-bead row, to fill in the gap.

This is the back, not perfect but pretty darn good!

I added a picot row at the end, and three loops - I haven't decided how I'm going to do the strap yet, so it's still kind of a work in progress.  I ended up with an odd number of beads in the brick stitch row when I was putting the picot row on, and was momentarily stumped and upset.  But I figured out that I should do an odd number of loops for the strap, and all was well with the world again!


I'm really excited about this piece I made with Caroline's gorgeous cabochon, I'll let you know what I finish it with.  To see what everyone else made, please visit the blogs below!

Guests

Nicole Prince - http://healingbeading.blogspot.com/2015/11/art-jewelry-elements-component-of-month.html

Kathy Lindemer  - http://bay-moon-design.blogspot.com/

AJE Team

Diana Ptaszynski - http://vintagebluestudio.typepad.com/vintage_blue_studio/2015/11/november-com-reveal.html

Lesley Watt - http://thegossipinggoddess.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/aje-component-of-month-november-reveal.html

Niky Sayers - http://silverniknats.blogspot.co.uk

Jenny Davies-Reazor - http://www.jdaviesreazor.com/blog/november_component_month_im_lichenit

Susan Kennedy - http://suebeads.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/november-aje-component-of-month.html

Lindsay Starr - http://phantasmcreation.blogspot.co.uk/2015/11/art-jewelry-elements-component-of-month.html

Jennifer Stout Cameron - http://www.glassaddictions.com/blog

Kristen Stevens - http://kristen-beadjourney.blogspot.co.uk

Linda Landig - https://lindalandig.wordpress.com

Caroline Dewison - http://blueberribeads.co.uk/archives/4604

Comments

Lesley said…
Love the colour palette you chose for your bezel and the picot edging is so pretty...I'm sure this will go on the become a beautiful piece of jewellery.
Caroline said…
That's gorgeous Sue! I love the texture you've created with your beading and the colours are perfect... Thank you so much for joining me in the challenge.
Niky Sayers said…
What a lovely piece, I'm amazed at your bead work, I can see so many different types of stitches and it's just mind boggling the time and effort this must have taken!
oh well done Sue! Your bead weaving skills are spectacular and this piece will be so fun to wear!
CraftyHope said…
I can imagine why you're excited about it. It's lovely! I'm stricken with the little fringe around the bezel you made. It gives the beautiful focal even more texture. I'm sure you'll come up with a strap for it in no time. I can't wait to see what you make to go with this beauty!
Karen Totten said…
Love the palette - very nice design!
baymoondesign said…
Your beading looks great. I love the colors that you used. Wasn't it a real treat to get Caroline's beautiful component?
Unknown said…
This is beautiful. I love the colors.
Linda said…
This is so pretty. I admire the patience and precision involved in this! Your color palette is lovely! Its going to be a stunning necklace!
Jenny said…
Back looks great to me! Well done you seed beading woman! Love your colors. - wasn't it fun to pick beads for this!!!!

Popular posts from this blog

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.