Skip to main content

Process - Flowers

This was originally posted on Art Jewelry Elements - I wanted to share it here with you in case you don't read that blog so you can see where I started with this process.  Tomorrow you can read about the latest little flower beads you'll find in my etsy store!

I started making these flowers on my bent mandrels because 1) I can't throw them away, that would be wrong, and 2) I have lots of short rods of glass that I can't throw away either.  This solves both problems!


So on Friday, I decided to have a play day, and I made some more, but I added some dots of color to the petals and feel that they are waaaaaay cuter and more interesting with the dots.


Here's a closeup of one of the them.  When I took them out of the kiln, I took a photo and posted it on facebook.  I got a lot of "likes" for them, and one question about whether they were going to show up in my store.  I don't know if anyone would be interested in them, I may sell them on my blog, they will make great plant pokes, but it got me thinking.  What else could I make in this style?


Buttons...for use as clasps or just plain old buttons, or dangles, or whatever!  So I made one to see how it would turn out.  I kind of like it.  I'm not thrilled with it, it needs to be more sophisticated, but I do like the general idea.


Then I made a lentil-shaped bead as well.  I don't like this as much.  To me there's too much space at the top and bottom where the bead hole is.  Although if you were going to string it you would use another bead or a bead cap anyways, so maybe the space doesn't matter as much as I think it does... what do you think?  This one turned out a bit wonky anyways and don't like the dot placement - in fact, I would probably put a heart or a twisted flower in the middle of these beads instead of dots.  Or I'd wear my glasses under my didys *lampwork glasses* (if they fit) so I could see better and place the dots better!!!!


Hope you enjoyed the process!

Comments

AliMc said…
Love those flowers at the top. My Mom had something similar on the kitchen windowsill when I was little (thanks for that memory :) ). I agree on the lentil, it may look a lil off kilter on it's own but nestled between other beads I think it would be really cute.
adlinah said…
Love these! I actually like the flowers without the dots on the petals. Hmm, maybe I'm the only one though? As for who would buy them? I would! :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Bead Soup Blog Party!

Welcome to the 3rd Bead Soup Blog Party! What is a Bead Soup Blog Party? Each beader was paired up with another jewelry designer and tasked with sending the following: ~ A focal ~ A special clasp (not just a lobster claw) ~ Some coordinating spacers or beads Using the focal and the clasp was mandatory, but we could use anything from our own stash to round out the rest, and choose to use the coordinating beads or not. You may recall my partner was Margot Potter ; click this link to see the blog post I wrote of what she sent me! Here's what I made! Dangly earrings! Come see what the rest of us made! 1. Lori Anderson, Pretty Things 2. Kitty Durmaj, Perles and Life 3. Michelle Heim, Life In the Bead Lane 4. Lisa Petrillo, Lucid Moon Studio 5. Anitra Gordy, Leelu Creations 6. Paige Maxim, Paige Maxim Designs 7. Marianna Boylan, Pretty Shiny Things 8. Cheryl Roe, BeadRoe 9. Heidi Post, Ex Post Facto 10. Cindy Wimmer, Sweet Bead Studio 11. Terri Gauthier, Blooming Ideas 12.

The Tacky Earring Blog Hop

Diana Ptaszynski had a great idea, instead of a Tacky Christmas Sweater blog hop, a Tacky Holiday Earring blog hop! I was on it.  I had ideas right away.  I had so many I had to control myself.  You can buy these for $15 each, too!  Here we go! I found these awesome wreaths in the miniature Christmas section in Michaels, and they go perfectly with silver and copper colored plastic beads! These trees were found in Michaels, on an end-cap - I assume they are scrapbook or card making supplies, but make fantastic earrings.  The holes were a little small and far down, so I had to make LARGE loops.  Paired these with cute little gold colored jingle bells! And, finally, the ones I had in my head the moment she announced the blog hop.  Dr. Seuss sparkly puff balls with ribbons.  The only thing that would have made these better for me is if I could have found the red ribbons I really wanted to pair these with - don't get me wrong, the silver is cool and all, but in my head they w